"We are the same people only further from home on freeways fifty lanes wide on a concrete continent spaced with bland billboards illustrating imbecile illusions of happiness."
- A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
While reading A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti I came across this quote. I think this quote is basically his idea of what America really is and I completely agree. Billboards in a America are like he says illustrating false happiness. Usually on a billboard you would find like an advertisement for a company or product and the companies manufacturing these products make you believe that you really need this product but when you buy the product you realize that it really isn't anything special. I also liked the way he said "concrete continent" because really when you think about it America really is just a highway that stretches on forever and is "fifty lanes wide", our government even had to put laws in place to protect at least a little chunk of the nature land and forrest because we were eliminating forrest space to either build houses or roads. "We are the same people only further away from home" probably is talking about the immigrations over the years first starting with Columbus discovering America. All in all I feel from this quote that America has a mask that shows visions of happiness but really its' nothing special.
No comments:
Post a Comment